The UK

There are no vaccinations that you need to get when travelling to the UK and mosquitos are not an issue.

Medical Assistance – It is important to ensure that you have a good first aid kit with you when travelling overseas. For more information on first aid essentials click here. You will be able to get Calpol and Nurofen for older babies in pharmacies throughout Britain along with many other items to help if your baby gets sick.

Your hotel or local pharmacists will also be able to direct you to the nearest medical centre or GP clinic if your child needs to see a doctor and if there is a medical emergency you can take your child to the emergency room of the nearest hospital or dial 999 or 112 which are the emergency numbers in Ireland (112 works also in all EU countries and from any phone, free of charge).

Travel Insurance – If travelling from other European Union member countries to Britain you should ensure that you and each family member travelling has either the European Health Insurance Card or private health insurance. UK residents can apply at . This card allows you to get health care covered by the public health system in Ireland. If you have previously applied for a card make sure that it is in date before you travel. Travel insurance should be taken out if you are covered by private health care or if you are travelling from outside of the European Union however check your policy as it may offer you some cover while overseas.

Other Emergencies – Contact your consular service or embassy if you have been a victim of crime, arrested on suspicion of committing a crime, if you or anyone in your family has a serious illness, experience the unexpected death of a partner or spouse and for help with repatriation after a crisis. Consular offices also provide help in the case of a lost or stolen passport.