The Canary Islands

Insect Protection in the Canary Islands

Mosquitos on the Canary Islands do not carry malaria but they can cause unpleasant reactions. Seek medical advice if an insect bite causes swelling, bruising or persistent pain. Make sure that you bring protection against insect bites on your trip. Click here for further information on insect protection and how to prevent and treat mosquito bites for babies and toddlers.

Sun Protection in the Canary Islands

Ensure that you bring sunblock for babies older than 6 months and for toddlers. Many brands of sun block cannot be used on babies under the age of 6 months and therefore it is important to ensure that their skin is protected by keeping them away from direct sunlight and using UV protected clothing (Garnier Ambre Solaire has now produced a sunblock for babies in the shade which is available at Tesco and is suitable for use on younger babies however even with this on they should still be kept in the shade or in a UV sun tent as their skin is highly sensitive).

It is useful to buy swimwear with long sleeves also as this will protect your baby while in the water. Make sure that you also bring a sun hat for your baby as their heads can burn very quickly. A parasol will assist in keeping the sun off your baby’s skin and certain brands can be attached to your baby’s stroller. You can also buy a stroller shade which covers much more of your stroller and if the sun is particularly bright, this may be more useful. A UV protected small sun tent can be purchased for the beach.

For further information on protecting your baby from the sun click here.

First Aid


A good first aid kit is essential for any trip abroad. Click here for advice on first aid and how to treat minor injuries, burns and bites yourself.

Travel Insurance

If travelling from the UK and Ireland you should ensure that you and each family member travelling has either the European Health Insurance Card or private health insurance. Irish residents can apply for the card at and UK residents can apply at . This card allows you to get health care covered by the public health system in the Canaries. If you have previously applied for a card make sure that it is in date before you travel. Travel insurance should be taken out if you are covered by private healthcare however check your policy as it may offer you some cover while overseas.

The European Emergency number is 112 where you will get English speaking operators who can direct your call to the appropriate emergency response services.


Most pharmacists speak English well and if your child is unwell they may be able to direct you to a doctor or hospital. Your hotel will also be able to direct you to the appropriate services. Calpol and Nurofen are not widely available. If you require a paracetemol based product for your child, Apiretal is the local equivalent to Calpol. Remember to ask the pharmacist about the dosage for your child as this product is more concentrated than Calpol.

Consular Services

Contact your consular service or embassy if you have been a victim of crime, arrested on suspicion of committing a crime, if you or anyone in your family has a serious illness, experience the unexpected death of a partner or spouse and for help with repatriation after a crisis. Consular offices also provide help in the case of a lost or stolen passport.