It’s the driver’s’ responsibility to be sure their passengers are using seat belts and appropriate child restraints.
- Children under 3 can only travel in cars or goods vehicles if there are fitted with the appropriate child restraint. Taxis are exempt from this rule.
- Children between ages 3 and 12 must use an appropriate child restraint in cars or goods vehicles if they are fitted with safety belts (If the car or goods vehicle doesn’t have safety belts, they must sit in the back seat).
- In passenger seats with an active airbag, rear-facing child restraints must not be used.
- Any child under 150cms or weighing less than 36kg must be restrained in a child restraint which is appropriate for their height and weight. The safest place for a child to sit is in the back seat of the car, in the appropriate child restraint, however this is not always possible. It is safe and legal for a child of any age to sit in the front passenger seat of a car provided they are using the correct child restraint for their height and weight. However, if you are transporting a baby in a rearward facing child restraint in the front passenger seat you should disable the front passenger air bag. Please leave the air bag active for all other child restraints.
- Children between 3 and 12 must use safety belts if they are fitted
- If seatbelts are available, bus drivers are required to tell passengers that it is the law to wear them
- Taxis, hackneys and limousines do not need to have every kind of child restraints available
- A child over 3 can wear a seatbelt in the back seat of a car or a goods vehicle if there is no more room for a child safety seat
- If it is not possible to place your child in the back seat of your vehicle, they can ride in the passenger seat, as long as they are using the appropriate restraints.
- Child restraints come in several weight classes so you can find the appropriate one for your child.
Which Car Seat?
Rearward facing baby seat
- Weight range: for babies up to 13 kgs (29 lbs)
- General age range: from birth to 12-15 months
- Seat details: provide protection for baby’s head neck and spine
Forward facing child seat
- Weight range: for kids 9-18 kgs (20-40 lbs)
- General age range: 9 months – 4 years
- Weight range: 15-25 kgs (33-55 lbs)
- General age range: 4-6 years
- Weight range: 22-36 kgs (48-79 lbs)
- General age range: 6-12 years
- Seat details: You must use the seatbelt in conjunction with the booster cushion