Ryanair is a no frills Irish budget airline that operates flights around Europe. The flights tend to be cheaper than other airlines but the airline tends to cut all costs so if travelling with a baby or toddler, be prepared to lift the stroller down a number of steps to the aircraft. Ryanair does not use jet bridges to save on time and costs so you will not be able to wheel your stroller to the aircraft. You might also need to join a queue with your child and if you have not pre selected (and paid for) a seat you may not be able to get a seat with children over 2.
Infants up to 7 days old (inclusive) are not accepted for travel on Ryanair flights.
- Infants (aged 8 days to 23 months inclusive) travelling must be accompanied by an adult aged 16 or over (one infant per adult).
- Charges applicable are €20 / £20 per infant/per one way flight (€40 return)
- Amsafe CARES Child Restraint – Infants aged over 1 year can sit in their own aircraft seat using an Amsafe CARES child restraint – you must provide this. The weight limit for use of the restraint is 22-44lbs (10-20kg). You need to contact the Ryanair call centre to make the booking.
- Extra Seat can be purchased for an infant (8 days – 23 months) for comfort, the infant must be seated on an adult’s lap (aged 16 years and over) for take-off, landing and whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated. Once the seatbelt sign has been switched off the infant (8 days – 23 months) can then occupy the extra seat
You can check your stroller in at the check in desk or at the gate for storage in the aircraft free of charge.
- 2 items of baby equipment are carried free of charge per child – 1 pushchair/stroller plus one of the following items: car seat or booster seat or travel cot.
- On arrival at the airport the 2 free items of baby equipment can be tagged for travel at a Bag Drop Desk, which close 40 minutes before the scheduled flight departure time.
- You can book on any additional equipment eg car seat, travel cot etc with a maximum weight of 20kg for a €10 / £10 fee charged per Item/ per one way flight. This increases to €20 / £20 if you purchase at the airport.
- A carry on baby bag up to 5kg can be carried by the accompanying adult, however there is no checked baggage allowance for infants seated on an adult’s lap.
Using a Car Seat
- You can use a car seat onboard as long as it is approved for aircraft use and has a 5 point harness.
- The seat must be forward facing and fit in the 42.5 cm (16.8 inches) space between the armrests of an aircraft seat.
- Certified for use onboard aircraft as follows:
European car seat– the seat must have a CE sticker and “Certified for use on aircraft” printed on it.
U.S.car seat– the seat must have a FAA sticker and “Certified for use on aircraft” printed on it.
- If you are booking a separate seat for an infant (8 days – 23 months) using an airline approved car seat onboard you will need to contact the call centre to make the booking for all passengers, add the car seat details and be allocated a suitable seat onboard.
For further information contact the airline or see Ryanair’s website.