- For safety reasons, air travel is not recommended for a newborn within the first seven days after birth. One adult is only allowed to carry one infant onboard.
- Children up to two years old are not required to have their own seat. You must, however, inform Malaysia Airlines that you will be traveling with an infant on your lap.A child under two years old is charged 10% of the adult fare plus taxes.
- Only one lap child is allowed per adult. If one adult is traveling with more than one infant under two years of age, a seat will have to be purchased for each additional infant.
- You can also choose to purchase a seat for your infant as long as you have the proper child restraint device and infant fares are available. Contact the airline for further information.
- Reservations for bassinets – A number of bassinets are provided onboard, depending on the aircraft. Due to safety and storage reasons, passengers are not allowed to carry their own bassinets into the cabin. Should you need one for your infant, reservations can be made at the time of your initial ticket purchase for a bassinet provided by Malaysia Airlines. This service must be requested through the Reservations/Ticket Counter/Call Centre at least 24 hours before departure. Please call 1 300 88 3000 if you are within Malaysia or +603 7843 3000 if you are overseas.
- Feeding mothers are advised to carry their choice of infant formula due to the wide variety of formula available in the market and the different preferences of infants. However, a limited quantity of baby formula, food and essentials including napkins, bottles and brushes are provided onboard to ensure your infant’s comfort throughout the journey.
- Changing facilities and facilities for heating baby food and sterilising feeding bottles are also available on certain flights.
- Infant incubators – Subject to special conditions, incubators as provided by hospitals for babies with heart or respiratory problems are permitted on certain Malaysia Airlines flights. Should you have any queries, please contact us for further information and assistance.
You will be able to take your stroller on board free of charge. Since storage space is limited in the aircraft cabin, the acceptance of baby prams/strollers as cabin items will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Once the storage space is taken up, these items will need to be loaded in the aircraft hold.
- Malaysia Airlines allows for an additional 10 kg of purely baby essentials (including a bassinet or carrycot) over and above the free baggage allowance as allotted to an infant’s accompanying adult passenger. The combined weight of the bassinet or carrycot and baby essentials must not exceed 10 kg.
- Infants under 2 without their own seat are allotted one bag with maximum dimensions of 45 in/115cm, which may be carried as cabin baggage, and one fully collapsible baby pushchair or stroller or carrying basket. The weight of the allowed items may not exceed 22 lb/10 kg in total.
Using a Car Seat
You can use a car seat as long as it meets the airlines safety requirements. There will need to be a sticker on the device which specifies that it has been approved by an official agency in the EU, USA, Canada or Australia.
For further information contact the airline or see Malaysia Airways website.