- When booking your flights, simply indicate if your baby or children will travel with you. The applicable reduced fares for kids and/or babies will automatically be calculated. If your child is travelling in a different travel class than you (or another accompanying adult), the Unaccompanied Minor service is mandatory for the child.
- Babies 0-1 years – If your child is not yet 2 years old on both the outbound and on the inbound journey, it will travel sitting on your lap. Every adult may travel with 2 babies, but only 1 baby may sit on his/her lap. The other baby will need to have a booked seat of its own. To book a seat for your 0 or 1 year old, please contact the airline.
- Carrycots – For intercontinental KLM flights, carrycots can be reserved via ‘My Trip’ on the KLM website or by contacting the airline. These are suitable for babies that are no longer than 65 cm and weigh no more than 10 kg on the day of the trip. The airline cannot always guarantee the availability of a carrycot when you board the aircraft.
- Bluey – Throughout your family trip with KLM, their mascotte Bluey will pop up. Look out for Bluey at the airport and on board!
- For kids 2 and older, the airline offers children’s meals on intercontinental KLM flights – at no extra cost. Make sure to order at least 24 hours before departure, when booking your flight or in ‘My Trip’ on the KLM website. Dinner will be a real treat, with for example a mini hamburger and fries. The precise menu varies per flight but Bluey will be in every meal box – plus a junior pilot adventure game or junior pilot diploma.
- The airline recommends that you bring your own baby food. Any restrictions at the airport on bringing liquids do not apply to your baby food. On intercontinental KLM flights, there are only a few special baby meals available. These are free and do not need to be ordered upfront. Every 0-2 year old receives a free Bluey bib.
- On board intercontinental KLM flights, every child 2 and older receives a Bluey play set, containing a memory game and tic tac toe, and items such as pencils, a key cord, card game, sticker, luggage label and more. A Bluey eye mask will help your child get some rest. On European flights children receive a Bluey passport holder and an activity book.
- On intercontinental KLM flights, every seat has an inflight entertainment set. Bluey will show your child the way to lots of fun.
- On both European and intercontinental KLM flights the airline allows the use of various types of portable electronic devices, such as handheld games and tablets. You just need to set your device to airplane mode or switch off the cellular service.
Using Car Seats
For each child you may always bring 1 car/child seat free of charge on KLM flights. If you booked a seat for your child, it is recommend that you bring your own car/child seat on board.
- The car/child seat must be able to fit between the armrests of the aircraft seat, which is 42 cm (16.5 in) wide.
- Your child and the child seat need to be secured according to the seat manufacturer’s instructions.
- A child seat may show no defects and must be approved for air transport and marked accordingly.
- You need to reserve for the use of a car/child seat in advance. Please contact KLM for further details.
You may also check in the car/child seat free of charge, in which case above rules do not apply.
If you have booked a seat for your child on a KLM flight, you may also use a Child Aviation Restraint System (CARES) on board:
- Your child and the CARES need to be secured according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- The CARES may show no defects and must be approved for air transport and marked accordingly.
- You need to reserve for the use of your CARES in advance. Please contact KLM for further details.
For each child you may always bring 1 completely collapsible stroller (umbrella type) free of charge on any KLM flight. If the stroller will not fit under the seat or in the overhead baggage compartment, you can check it in at no extra charge. The stroller/pram may have a protective cover but this may not contain any other items.
If your child has its own (booked) seat, it may bring the same amount of hand baggage and check-in baggage as an adult.
For a child younger than 2 years of age who will be travelling on your lap, you may bring:
- 1 piece of hand baggage with baby care items weighing max. 12 kg (26 lbs) and with dimensions max. 55 x 35 x 25 cm (22 x 14 x 10 in).
- 1 piece of check-in baggage of max 10 kg (22 lbs). If your child’s baggage is carried in one of the parents’ check-in baggage, this baggage may weigh no more than 23 kg (50.5 lbs) per piece.
Some of KLM’s partner airlines have different baggage rules to KLM’s own policies. Please contact your travel agency or the airline concerned for further details.
For further information contact KLM or see KLM’s website.